Top 5 Reasons To Pursue a Career in HCC and Risk Adjustment Medical Coding
In these times of increasing economic uncertainty, if you had the chance to have a career in a field that has a growing demand in the job market, in one of the fastest growing industries that will never fade away, wouldn’t you jump at the opportunity? That’s what the field of HCC and risk adjustment medical coding is!
HCC coding and risk adjustment is a crucial factor in the healthcare payer and provider lifecycle. Medicare Advantage plans are reimbursed by CMS based on the HCC codes. These have been used by Medicaid since 2004. HCC (Hierarchal Condition Category) coding ensures accurate payments and estimations of patient expenditure.
The Risk Adjustment (RA) model determines the risk score to estimate the cost of a medical treatment. This is used to determine Risk Adjustment Factor (RAF) scores which are assigned according to the health conditions of patients. This helps insurance companies adjust insurance premiums among patients more efficiently.
Keeping in mind this scenario, it is easy to see how stable and long-term a career in HCC and Risk Adjustment medical coding can be. Not only does it facilitate better health management outcomes for healthcare providers, it also ensures accurate reimbursements from the insurance sector. This makes HCC and RA coders invaluable for both the revenue cycle management as well as insurance processes.
Keeping aside the advantages of long-term job stability, there are other factors that make a career in this field a no-brainer. Here are the top 5 reasons to become an HCC and RA medical coder rightaway!
- You can work at your convenience, your place, your time! For those who live in remote locations or who need work-life balance or flexible schedules, this is the perfect career. Whether you choose this option to be able to spend more time with your kids or to invest in higher education or a business on the side, this is the ideal career to be your own boss!
- You will always be in demand for your skills, knowledge, and experience. No matter how unstable other job markets may be, this is one field that will always be in demand in the US.
- You can start working with very little overhead expenses, as all you need is a computer with internet connection and the requisite software to get started.
- Intellectual stimulation and emotional satisfaction is assured as you get to work on many different cases and scenarios every single day. You also get the satisfaction that comes from knowing that your work makes a difference in the healthcare sector.
- Salaries are high and growing with increasing demand. This is a lucrative field and the more experienced you become, the higher your demand is!
Getting into this field is relatively easy with the help of online courses, such as those offered by Coding School. You can emerge as a skilled HCC and risk adjustment coder within just a few months of starting your course at the Coding School. What’s more, you can learn at your own pace and with the help of live charts with instant system feedback that helps you gain more confidence and experience. On top of that, Coding School also offers placement assistance upon completion of the course. No matter where you live in the US, no matter what your time constraints maybe, this is a course you can start right away which will put you on an entirely different, and fulfilling, career trajectory within a few months! So what’s stopping you?